Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Vacay, Baby! Florida 2013

Ahhhh, vacation. Sweet, sweet vacation. Why does it have to end? We just got back a few days ago from 5 days in beautiful Destin, Fl. So, now I'm gonna tell you all about it. Now, I do realize that most people couldn't care less about my vacation, but, eh, whatev! So here we go, ps. this could be a long post. Okay, let's start about 4 weeks prior to blast off. I started my lists. Yes, lists as in more than one. I am a list maker. An organizer. A planner. So I had a "to pack" list, a "to buy" list, a "clothing" list, a "snack" list, an "entertainment for the car" list, a "toiletries" list, and a "misc" list.  By the way, when you have 3 little girls, you HAVE to be a planner/list maker. Well, I guess you don't HAVE to be, but it sure does make things a whole lot easier:) Back to the "list's." Okay, so for about 4 weeks, I would constantly check my lists to make sure I didn't miss anything, and I would occasionally add stuff to the list. There is one very important thing that I didn't add to the list, therefore, forgetting said item the day we left, and had to turn around after getting about 6 miles from home to get it. Try to guess what it was. I'll tell you later:)
Fast forward 4 weeks. The day was finally here. We were all so excited. Our plan was that we would get up at 2am Monday morning, and drive straight through. It's about 700 and some odd miles. 14 hours. With 3 little girls, 14 could very easily turn into 20, but I was determined to not let that happen. Plus, the hubs just said "I'm driving straight through" and who am I to argue since that meant I didn't have to do any of the driving?! Okay, so alarm is set for 2:00 on the dot. It goes off, I give it the ol' smack, and lay back down. You could guess what happens next. We wake up at 2:50. Now, this really isn't a big deal, unless you are my husband. Then it's a big deal. Ugh. So we get the girls out of bed, put them in the van (that we borrowed from my mother in law, which is already packed by the way) and we leave our house on the way to pick up said mother in law (she went with us, and what a great idea that was, one adult for each kid!!). At this point, everything is crossed off on my list, indicating that it has been packed. I checked this list at least 20 times in the previous 24 hours. I wasn't going to forget a thing. So we carry on, and about 6 miles down the road, it just hits me, I FORGOT MY CAMERA. WHAT?!?!?!? How is that even possible? I'll tell ya how, IT WASN'T ON THE LIST! Now, why it wasn't on the list, is beyond me. Needless to say, my driver, aka, my husband wasn't thrilled. Ah well, you win some, you lose some:) I don't think he felt the same way...
All right, on with the story, we pick up my mother in law, (who also overslept by the way) and we head east. First stop, Truman, Arkansas. We stopped to eat breakfast at McDonalds. While we were waiting for our food, a man walks by our table a throws down a 8 pack of cheese danish, and walks off. Uh, okay....then a lady comes over and explains that he is the local distributor to Wal Mart. So my guess is that he brings a package with him every time he comes into the McD's and gives it to someone. How nice of him. There are still nice people out there! And those bad boys were goooood! Thanks, Mister. Onward!!!
Lunch was in Meridian, Ms. at Chick-Fil-A. No free danish there, but a good lunch nonetheless:) I do want to add that on the way, my middle child ate some trail mix and about 5 min after that told me her tongue was "itchy". She also had hives on her face. Nice. Here we are in the middle of nowhere, Ms. and she is having an allergic reaction. And to something she has eaten millions of times before. Not to worry, I pull out my trusty first aid kit I made, and administer some Benadryl. She was back to normal in about 8 minutes. That was enough adventure for one day.  Fast forward to 7:00pm, we finally make it to Destin! There was still just enough day light to head down to the beach to walk in the sand for a few minutes. It was heavenly.
We walked around for a bit, then headed back up to the condo to go get dinner. We had decided before the trip, we would eat breakfast and lunch at the condo everyday, then eat dinner out every night. That first night since it was later when we got there, we just popped into Five Guys. Holy fabulous cheeseburger. My first time at a Five Guys. So so good! Glad we have one in the 417!
After dinner, we headed back to our home for the week, and got the kids settled in bed, then I unpacked all our stuff and put it away, then went out on our balcony and just sat. It was amazing. We had a panoramic view of the ocean. The sound of the waves, and the smell of the salt water is so hypnotic. I could have stayed there for hours. But I was tired, so I opted for the bed instead:)
So for the next 4 days, our plans were to really do nothing but lay out on the beach. And eat. I'm sure I gained 10lbs that week. We did go the the Science Museum one day, and that was fun, but other than that, it was nothing but sand and sun!!! We went kayaking, and that was fun. Then the hubs had a shark swim literally 3 feet from him. True story. It was about a 5 ft shark, but to me it was Jaws. That was enough kayaking for me. I'll just stick to what I know. Getting a tan. On the shore. Where sharks AREN'T.
We built sandcastles, buried the kids in the sand, and just soaked up the sun. All while wearing SPF 55. Gotta stay safe.
It was just a fun, fun time to spend the with girls, and they loved every minute of it. They didn't want to leave on the final day. But I didn't either. So to soften the blow, we went shopping after we ate lunch at the Hard Rock CafĂ©. (get the nachos). That worked. Ready to head home! After about 14 1/2 hours, we.were.home. Sigh. I'm still trying to recover from that drive ride. It's been non stop since we've gotten back! I need another vacation!!! I'll put the camera on the list this time;)




2 comments:

  1. Great post! You got it done a lot sooner than I thought you would! Lol! By the way....I guessed the camera! ;) Oh and I'm a list maker, too, so I'm sure it is quite the norm. Hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks beth!!! you are a good guesser!!!! and we are totally normal... :)

    ReplyDelete