Saturday, June 15, 2013

FriedChickenTacos

Okay, so it's actually fried, chicken, tacos. Not fried chicken, tacos. Make sense? The name can be confusing. It's not actually a piece of fried chicken on a taco. There, that should explain it. I found this recipe in the Pioneer Woman's cookbook. If you haven't heard of The Pioneer Woman, you're missing out!! She is a chef on Food Network, food blogger, writer, and just plain funny. Check her out at pioneerwoman.com.  I love her show and her recipes. Definitely check out her cookbooks. I cook from mine all the time! Okay, so on to the recipe...
This is seriously so amazingly delicious. I wanted to make them again while I was eating them. YUM!! They are a little messy and time consuming, but worth it!! Here you go:
You will need:
Boneless, skinless, chicken breast (I used 2, but you can adjust according to the number of peeps you're feeding)
One 7oz can of diced green chilies
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
Cheddar and Monterey jack cheese, shredded (you could actually use what ever kind of cheese you like, these are what I used. And I always, always, always, grate my own cheese. Always. It's way better than that  already shredded bagged stuff. And trust me, it  may seem like a pain to have to grate it, but once you're used to it, it becomes a habit, and takes no time.)
Lettuce
Tomato
Corn tortilla (I used yellow corn, but white would work too)
Approx 1 cup oil (I use canola oil)

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix the chili, powder, cumin, and salt. Set aside. Then, cut your chicken into bite size pieces, and put in a skillet with about 1 tablespoon oil. I used my iron skillet. Next, add the green chilies (with the juice). Cook on medium heat for about 3 or 4 minutes, until the chicken starts to lose it's pink color.
Now add the chili/cumin/salt mixture, and stir it all up to coat the chicken. Continue to cook until chicken is cooked through, about another 4-6 minutes. Remove from heat and sit aside.
**Ps. You should know that if you are grating your own cheese (which I highly recommend, had I mentioned that? Ha!) it should already be done at this point.**
In another deep skillet, put the approx. 1 cup of oil. I say approx., because I didn't measure, but her actual recipe calls for one cup. Turn on med/high heat and let it get hot.
Now, take one tortilla, and spoon some of the chicken into it. Fold it in half, (I found the best way to do this was to use tongs) and place in oil. You will have to hold the top of the tortilla down for just a minute, so it don't open. Fry it for about 30 seconds, and then carefully turn it over and finish frying the other side. About another 30 seconds. Remove from oil (again, the tongs done this job the best) and put into several paper towels to drain.  Continue this process until you have made all you want to make. Then, carefully open the top of each taco, and put in some cheese. The idea here is for the cheese to melt. So what I actually done, was make like 4 tacos, then put the cheese in those while they were still hot, then finished frying the rest. Then, you want to add your condiments. Her recipe calls for sour cream, but since I am not a fan of sour cream, I used a mixture of ranch dressing, and Srichia hot sauce. For the kids though, I did use sour cream.  Then you add lettuce and tomato. Then you just enjoy the crunchy, spicy, cool deliciousness that is about to come your way!!!! These were so very good. The next time, I will add black beans to my chicken. I think that will be fabulous! I served this with Spanish rice. My whole fam loved it! Let me know if you try them!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome! I'll definitely have to try them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete